Cattedrale dei Santi Pietro e Donato
The Cathedral of Santi Donato e Pietro, Arezzo’s cathedral, is the city’s main place of worship and was built above an ancient pre-Christian church.
The visit of pope Gregory X in December 1275, on his return from the Council of Lyon, was fundamental in the establishment of the cathedral. The pope, gravely ill, died in Arezzo on January 10th, leaving the sum of thirty gold florins intended for the construction of the new cathedral. The works began in 1278, overseen by bishop Guglielmino of the Ubertini, and concluded only in 1511.
The external façade, left bare for centuries, was transformed between 1900 and 1914 into how we see it today. The three-nave interior, with five aisles divided by compound pillars, is characterised by a polygonal apse. The seven glass windows attributed to Marcillat are true masterpieces, painted in two phases between 1516-1517 and 1522-1524. Marcillat is also credited with the bible stories painted in the vaults of the first three aisles in the central nave and in the first aisle of the left side aisle, as well as the design of the staircase with which you access the cathedral.