Under the ownership of Elisa Baciocchi, during the Napoleonic period, Cascine became a proper public park. Over the course of the 19th century it underwent several extension and renovation works and the park was acquired by the municipality of Florence in 1869. During the 20th century the park was used more and more for sports, such as horse racing, tennis, target shooting, clay-pigeon shooting and swimming on the Pavoniere swimming pool.
In 1937, based on the designs of Raffaello Fagnoni, the buildings that housed the Flying School were built. In the Grand ducal farm there is now the Agriculture department of the University of Florence, which has added specialised crops to the park in the areas around the building.
The park has kept its monumental appearance, despite the numerous interference works during the last two centuries, with huge fields, imposing lanes and forests with cedar trees from the Atlas Mountains, elms, pine trees, horse chestnuts and poplar trees.